Rain or shine–winter or summer–there’s nothing better than a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup…
Quick and easy to make with everyday ingredients from the fridge and pantry this perennial classic seems to be a favorite all over the world with kids big and little!
Round out the meal with fresh vegetables, veggie dip and crispy bagel thins on the side; then top it off with a yummy summery berry yogurt parfait…mmm–perfection!
Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup!
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped/minced
2 carrots, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1.5 liters chicken broth
1 small bay leaf
¼ tsp dried thyme (optional)
¼ tsp dried rosemary (optional)
2 cups whole wheat pasta (any shape)
12 oz. (375 g) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small chunks
¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook,
stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until slightly softened but not browned.
2. Add chicken broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and chicken.
3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until past is tender and chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove bay leaf. Stir in parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sliced Bagel Thins
3 whole grain bagels
2 tbsp olive oil
Garlic powder, seasoned salt
1. With a very sharp bread knife slice each bagel into thin round disks.
2. Arrange on a baking pan; brush each bagel slice with oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and seasoned salt.
3. Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Berry Yogurt Parfait
½ cup Vanilla fl avored reduced fat yogurt
½ cup Frozen/fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
¼ cup coconut
1. Place ¼ cup yogurt in a small parfait cup then ¼ cup berries, then ¼ cup yogurt then ¼ cup berries. Top with