It couldn’t be simpler–or easier! This healthy summertime lunch takes advantage of the best of the season. Turkey roll ups, cucumber slices, apple sauce–and to top it all off–homemade fruit leather!
At this time of year fruit is fresh and plentiful, so why not treat your kids to a cool and super healthy homemade sweet? Try them as a perfect dessert with the suggested MOMeo Menu below–or on their own as a quick snack!
Very Yummy Homemade Fruit Leather!
2 lbs. Fully Ripened peaches, plums, nectarines or
1 tbsp. Lemon juice
1. Wash fruit. Nectarines or pears may be peeled or not as desired. Remove peach skins. To peal peach skins dip in boiling water for 10-15 seconds; remove. Skins should slip off easier. Slice the fruit removing cores.
2. In saucepan combine prepared fruit and lemon juice (except for plums omit the lemon juice).
3. Mash fruit slightly and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. To thicken for more even drying, pears may be cooked from 20-25 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching. Fruits may be sweetened with honey or not as desired.
4. Pour fruit into blender or food processor; puree until smooth. Spread pureed fruit evenly on parchment paper lined cookie sheets 1/8 to ¼ inch thick. The thinner it is the faster it will dry.
5. To dry place pans in the middle rack of the oven at 200F. Leave the door ajar 3-4 inches and allow leather to dry from 3-4 hours.
6. When leather feels dry on entire surface, lift edges and carefully peel off the paper. It should peel off easily. If underside feels slightly sticky place that side up and return to oven until no longer sticky.
7. Cut into 1.5” x 7” strips.