Want to stretch your travel budget to the max? Most of us do! That’s why we decided to share all the tips and tricks we learned from the recent #TDAeroplan Twitter Chat sponsored by TD Canada.
Tips on Stretching Your Travel Budget
The chat covered a lot of topics, from when is the best time to travel to how far in advance you need to book to get the best deals. Here are the highlights by category:
On Saving for Your Vacation
- Start a vacation fund! Set up an automatic withdrawal on your bank account to transfer money from every paycheck to your travel savings account. How long you save depends on your travel goals.
- Learn from other travel pros by browsing through the tips and stories on the TD Aeroplan Community forum.
On Cutting Travel Costs
- Book accommodations that have a kitchenette to cut costs on meals out. Pack a variety of healthy snacks and/or make a quick stop at the grocery store on your way to the hotel to stock up on supplies!
- Consider eating dinners in and lunches out. Often restaurants offer a less expensive lunchtime menu. Part of the fun of travel is experiencing local food markets where you can find easy-to-prepare meals!
On Flights and Accommodations
- Do your homework! Check the travel sites and apps, or talk to a travel agent to comparison shop for the best deal! If you find a better deal than the one currently being offered by your preferred booking method, find out if they price match!
- Be flexible on where and when you travel. Don’t forget to take advantage of last-minute sales on flights and hotel packages. Sometimes shifting your departure dates by a day or two can save you BIG!
- Consider flying into an alternate airport, especially if your destination is outside of a major city.
- Travel during off-peak times for your destination. Typically, you will pay a premium during school holidays, but find out when high season is for your desired destination.
- Book flights well before your desired travel dates. According to the Huffington Post, the magic number is 54 days before, but the target range is between 104 and 29 days in advance.
On Maximizing Aeroplan Miles
- Get in the habit of using your Aeroplan card and TD Aeroplan VISA for everyday purchases to take advantage of 1.5X earning opportunities offered for every $1 you spend on groceries, gas and with partner companies.
- Seek out opportunities to earn double points. For example, by booking at a partner hotel, like Fairmont, you can earn Aeroplan miles by showing your Aeroplan card AND using your TD Aeroplan VISA.
- Consolidate rewards points by taking advantage of partner programs that allow you to convert their loyalty points to Aeroplan miles.
- Find information on special offers for Aeroplan members on the Aeroplan Partners page.